No matter how much I may-or-may-not end up enjoying the new Batman when I finally get to see it, I’m still still right pissed that they cast lilly-white-as-the-driven-snow-Britlander Tom Hardy for Bane.
As a Latino myself, I’ll say this, there are lilly-white-as-the-driven-snow Latinos. I’m dark as my native islander genes are strong, but my grandfather was whiter than most white people and had bright blue eyes. The same goes for my maternal great grandfather.
Don’t forget that Latino’s have strong Spaniard roots due to them having trouble keeping it in their pants.
And while yes, they could and should have cast somebody of Latin descent, rather than a Brit (not like people haven’t done this before, such as casting a Jewish man to play the Spaniard in a Princess bride or all the Brits they cast to play Romans when they could just as easily cast Italian and Greek actors), complaining about the casting based only on skin color is rather ignorant on Latin culture.
When Hardy was first cast as Bane, it seemed like a million people asked my opinion on it, and I was then, as I am now, of two minds.
First, I had seen him in BRANSON, and there was no question that he had the acting and physical chops to play Bane like few other actors could. I knew he would do a tremendous, committed, intelligent performance, one that I would love to see.
But at the same time, Bane’s heritage, and the fact that he is Latino, feel immensely important to his myth. I think, whether it was intentional or not, he was created to contrast Batman, and having a Latino man who raised himself from literally NOTHING made a fascinating contrast to the white billionaire heir of ultimate privilege, Bruce Wayne. I think there’s a powerful real-world allegory there.
And I love it, I love writing Bane as someone who is not ABOUT privilege at all, whose struggle is in some ways MORE difficult and even heroic, over Bruce’s. It added a really interesting note to the vintage, as it were.
So I would have preferred a Latin actor, as good as I think Hardy was.
And just as you say, when I posted that originally, quite a few people correctly reminded me that there are white Latinos all throughout Central and South America, and at least from the people who pointed that out, they seemed fine with Hardy as Bane.
But even with a white Latino in the role, I miss the background detail that his comic book origin added, and the Venom, which is very important symbolically. I miss the CULTURAL implications of Batman’s most dangerous for being Latino, a genius, a tactician, a thinker, a strategist, who can also, by the way, pick you up and crack your spine for you.
There was something very powerful in that contrast that I was sorry to see go.This page is an example of how it played out in the actual Secret Six comic, almost subversively. And we also see Bane’s protective-of-women streak that comes out at the oddest times. Great character, and I love that he wasn’t portrayed with that kind of unwelcome exoticism. He simply is Bane.
Of Batman’s villains, Bane is the one who is just one step away from being heroic, and that makes me love him to ridiculous levels.
- raziel3024 reblogged this from gailsimone
- dast303 likes this
- asleeponabench likes this
- swan2swan reblogged this from gailsimone and added:
- saberinthenight reblogged this from fuckinstormborn
- photoshoppedreality likes this
- n0proxy reblogged this from fuckinstormborn
- katiedollthesillyhead reblogged this from fuckinstormborn
- fuckinstormborn reblogged this from nekoama
- dirtyheros reblogged this from pirateking001 and added:
- knightsbane reblogged this from kenshiro28
- cheeruphamlet reblogged this from gailsimone
- silvermender likes this
- charlieusername reblogged this from gailsimone
- gates-of-horn-and-ivory reblogged this from gailsimone
- quantumqstar likes this
- thecats-pjs reblogged this from exeuntomnes
- exeuntomnes reblogged this from alphares
- exeuntomnes likes this
- batmaam likes this
- sinkthedutchman likes this
- pirateking001 reblogged this from gailsimone
- jaclynhyde likes this
- gingerberrycat reblogged this from gailsimone
- gingerberrycat likes this
- thenewoctuple reblogged this from coelasquid
- ladylapin likes this
- genactive reblogged this from thecrimson-alchemist
- penguinedward reblogged this from coelasquid
- snarechan likes this
- guilleum2 reblogged this from coelasquid
- chompsamba likes this
- kenshiro28 likes this
- guyalice reblogged this from gailsimone
- theentirepopulationofafrica likes this
- roshi-no-tabi reblogged this from kenshiro28
- kenshiro28 reblogged this from gailsimone and added:
- demoni reblogged this from coelasquid
- demoni likes this
- nhubooty reblogged this from coelasquid
- busterkaiser likes this
- nonvieta reblogged this from adanska
- x-beni-o2-x reblogged this from gailsimone
- schrodingerscatisdead likes this
- iskios reblogged this from gailsimone and added:
- onionhighonionandrenown likes this
- ataritastic reblogged this from coelasquid
- ataritastic likes this
- ksanzo likes this
- kid-rocket likes this